History - Who was Frank Parkinson?

Frank Parkinson (1887-1946) was a British electrical engineer, most notable for early electric lighting such as light bulbs and electric motors. He was a major benefactor of the University of Leeds with the landmark tower named in his honour. He was originally from Guiseley and, together with his brother, he established F&A Parkinson and Company in the town. In 1927 the brothers joined forces with Crompton Lighting and the company became Crompton Parkinson. Not only did the company provide work for the community but Parkinson also contributed to many local causes. The Parkinson building and tower have become major landmarks in Leeds and a defining feature of the University since it opened in 1951. When he died he left nearly £1.5 million in his Will, a large proportion of which went to FPYT to provide accommodation for the elderly people in the community. The Trust continues to promote the charitable aims set out by Frank Parkinson.